Winter is now upon us and our lakes and pond have frozen over. Now we need to think about being safe on the ice. Here are some tips on keeping you and your family safe:
- Wait to walk out on the ice until there is about four inches of clear, solid ice.
- ATV’s need at least five inches and trucks need at least 12 inches of good clear ice.
- Never drive on ice at night or when it is snowing.
- Never venture on ice alone or without telling your plans to someone.
- Always carry a pair of ice picks for personal rescue.
- Check at the access point for signs that indicate and aeration system is in operation on the lake.
- Stay clear of signs that read “Thin Ice”.
Next Month January.
Last Month November.